Betting on Greyhound Racing
Greyhound racing enjoys popularity as both an actual event and a virtual one. Due to the nature of the game, one which has drawn criticism of various animal rights groups, greyhound racing’s popularity remains timid in comparison to something like horse racing. The history of the game or sport if you will, is very rich, stretching as far back an ancient Egypt, the evidence of which is clear to see in etchings on the walls of the pharaohs.
Greyhound track racing however goes back to 1919 when someone named Owen Patrick Smith promoted the first major race. Prior to this he invented the mechanical lure which would revolutionise the whole industry. By 1926 the sport had reached Britain. Modern greyhound racing involves betting on the greyhound or hounds you think will win, it’s really that simple.
Types of Bets
Below is a glossary of the various types of bets that you can make when electing to bet on greyhound racing. The extent of the bets, the markets and the odds are dependent on the online sportsbook that you have chosen to sign up with.
- Straight/Single/Win Bet: The simplest of the bets and the most common one of them all. You bet on who you think will win at given odds. You get paid only if the greyhound you chose is the first to cross the line.
- Place: You win if your dog finishes either first or second.
- Show: You win if your dog finishes first, second or third.
- Across the Board: You place three unique bets on one dog to Win, Place and Show.
- Combination Bet: This bet covers a number of dogs to win in a selected order.
- Reverse Forecast: A bet placed on two dogs to finish first and second regardless of order.
- Straight Forecast: A bet placed on two dogs but they must finish in the precise chosen order.
- Treble Forecast: A bet on three dogs that must finish in the precise chosen order.
- Superfecta: A bet placed on 4 dogs to finish in the precise chosen order.
- Twin Trifecta: A multiple pooled bet involving the Treble betting method.
- Daily Double: This one works like an accumulator bet in that you select the winners of the first and second race. All bets must be placed before the race.
- Jackpot: You pick six winners from six races.
Greyhound Sportsbook Operators
When it comes to greyhound bookmakers, there are quite a few from which to choose, but who’s number one? Which online sports betting operators offer the most comprehensive markets and odds? We have good news for you, we’ve got them all right here at Topbettingsites.com!
We have fully reviewed these online sports betting establishments, so if you want a more informed opinion, simply click through to the review section. What we can tell you right now is that these sports betting websites will more than satisfy your greyhound betting needs.